What's on the BBQ?

DrinkSmokeGolf

oh yeah.. nicely done!

I've made a few prime ribs on the BBQ. Some might even be in this thread [emoji6]. Key is keep the temp low (under 250* and cook to desired internal temp. Here are a couple.

Cooked at 275*. See the outside is more cooked.
de2ae37ac84a6c05e60ca45a2a4a607a.jpg

Cooked rare and best I've made. Even temp throughout and cooked around 215 if I'm not mistaken.
02b8299d33ab73e8530b73204ada81d1.jpg

Thanks Steve!

Sent a long time ago, from a Galaxy S7 far far away.

I would caution against a drum smoker if you're starting off as they are a little more difficult to maintain temps.

As for smoker there are 2 mainstream types. Charcoal and pellets. Each have their pros and it's a personal decision at the end of the day. There are the offset and drum smokers but that's a bigger discussion.

Mainly. Pellet are set and forget but don't have the higher temp versatility of the charcoals. Charcoals have a little bit higher learning curve with temp control. Kamado grills IMHO are a perfect balance between the 2. Big Green Egg and Kamado Joe are the front runners in the Kamado space, of course there are others but that's again another discussion on the individual benefits. I'm a KamadoJoe fan as I really like their Divide and Conquer system... It makes an already versatile grill even more so [emoji6].

Feel free to ping me if you have any questions and I'll be more than happy to answer.

I second what @@GottaBeKD said. In fact he was the one who got me into the whole kamado mess. He's and enabler and can't be trusted.

Can't argue with the food results though!

I'm a primo oval xl kamado owner. Wayyy more versatile than a gasser. Anything from low and slow to pizza hot and fast. Indirect, direct, and a combination of both.

There are a few annoyances with ceramic kamados though. But I'll let gottabekd explain those to you.

Don't get me wrong though, I love my primo and VERY rarely use my gasser now. I think at this rate, my propane tank will expire before I empty it from cooking. Wouldn't trade it for anything out there except maybe a Komodo Kamado.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

For the price point you can't beat a drum smoker or Weber Smokey Mountain for an entry level smoker. WSM is way easier than any grill I've used, even easier than my pellet smoker in my opinion and it holds a ton of meat. We beat out a lot of people using nice smokers at Porkapalooza with a WSM. 

hey @@Steve31, how long does it take for a full brisket? What temp do you have it dailed in at? I've never made one and have been itching to try.

I smoke at 225, at this temp plan for 1.5 hr per pound but every brisket is different for exactly when it finishes, should be somewhere around 200 but the best way to know is to test it with a temp probe, it's done when it feels like you are sticking it into butter. Wrap it in foil and a towel and stick it in a cooler for a couple hours before cutting if you have the time, this also gives you extra cooking time if needed so you aren't trying to finish cooking when you want to be eating. As long as you can keep a pretty steady 225 have faith in your grill and don't peek.

Love my Napoleon Apollo.  They are about $300 and it works perfectly.  Maintaining around 225 isn't an issue, you just need to keep an eye on it and adjust the vents when needed.  

We did four beer can chickens on the weekend.  Did a mixture of Pecan chips and Bourbon Barrel chunks.  Turned out really nice

For the price point you can't beat a drum smoker or Weber Smokey Mountain for an entry level smoker. WSM is way easier than any grill I've used, even easier than my pellet smoker in my opinion and it holds a ton of meat. We beat out a lot of people using nice smokers at Porkapalooza with a WSM.

I'm not discounting the drum and WSM. They are excellent tools in the right hands. They are a little more difficult to monitor and maintain temp with over the Kamados. WSM is easier to work with than the drums and with a little practice and patience can make amazing Q.

And who doesn't love the look of a Kamado with smoke rolling off the top [emoji6]

89ec743fd2ad6a46cfb4d65c21d7e311.jpg

Love my Napoleon Apollo. They are about $300 and it works perfectly. Maintaining around 225 isn't an issue, you just need to keep an eye on it and adjust the vents when needed.

We did four beer can chickens on the weekend. Did a mixture of Pecan chips and Bourbon Barrel chunks. Turned out really nice

They are similar to WSM. What I like about then is they are portable.

Can't easily pick up a Kamado and take it camping or to the park for a picnic.

Again every tool has pros. It's all about the tool using the tool. [emoji6]

aaahhhh nothing like smoking up the whole neighborhood.... 

gawd damn KD, I guess 1 was not enough.. lol

I'm not discounting the drum and WSM. They are excellent tools in the right hands. They are a little more difficult to monitor and maintain temp with over the Kamados. WSM is easier to work with than the drums and with a little practice and patience can make amazing Q.

And who doesn't love the look of a Kamado with smoke rolling off the top [emoji6]
89ec743fd2ad6a46cfb4d65c21d7e311.jpg

I would caution against a drum smoker if you're starting off as they are a little more difficult to maintain temps.

As for smoker there are 2 mainstream types. Charcoal and pellets. Each have their pros and it's a personal decision at the end of the day. There are the offset and drum smokers but that's a bigger discussion.

Mainly. Pellet are set and forget but don't have the higher temp versatility of the charcoals. Charcoals have a little bit higher learning curve with temp control. Kamado grills IMHO are a perfect balance between the 2. Big Green Egg and Kamado Joe are the front runners in the Kamado space, of course there are others but that's again another discussion on the individual benefits. I'm a KamadoJoe fan as I really like their Divide and Conquer system... It makes an already versatile grill even more so [emoji6].

Feel free to ping me if you have any questions and I'll be more than happy to answer.

@@GottaBeKD I beg to differ.   :D

My pellet grill / smoker hits 700F.  Any hotter and I wouldn't own eyebrows.

It also has a direct flame option if you want a nice sear on a steak.  

Personally, i have owned two green eggs, various gas grills, several WSM's and 4-5 pellet grills and hands down winner for me is pellet.  I am so spoiled I can't imagine cooking outside any other way.  I currently have over a ton of pellets of various flavors and another 1,500 pounds coming next month.  I think i'm committed for awhile.

@@GottaBeKD I beg to differ. :D

My pellet grill / smoker hits 700F. Any hotter and I wouldn't own eyebrows.

It also has a direct flame option if you want a nice sear on a steak.

Personally, i have owned two green eggs, various gas grills, several WSM's and 4-5 pellet grills and hands down winner for me is pellet. I am so spoiled I can't imagine cooking outside any other way. I currently have over a ton of pellets of various flavors and another 1,500 pounds coming next month. I think i'm committed for awhile.

I've never heard of a pellet grill getting that hot. Very nice. My only experience with pellets is with a buddy's grill.

Nailed this cook this time around.

33 day dry aged NY strip loin.

Reverse sear on the primo xl, filled 1/2 the firebox with coal.

Perfect medium rare for me, and medium for the wife.

Killer crust too. Crust was so good that my daughter (who's 3 1/2) and never tried any steak before, loved it. Mind you it was only the crust she asked for lol. I guess baby steps right!

ff8e88599f20a9583b732b7954d3d59f.jpg

65854923370b99b33a1391862f20530a.jpg

49c02b1a3e15fe7b3f546435c830b59b.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk