Scotch talk

Louich

9 minutes ago, SlowBurn said:

I've succumbed as well....only this single bottle left on the shelf so I grabbed it. I'll have to keep looking' around to see if I can find 2 more to have done it right :)

Same here, I got the last bottle. I was trying to do it right.

On 4/10/2017 at 11:16 AM, MylesK said:

The Smokehead is alright. It is smokey, but nothing overpowering. Tastes like a younger scotch as in there isn't too much depth for flavours. It starts of smokey and then there are a couple lighter flavours that I can't identify, and then it finishes off smooth. I have enjoyed it so far, but I would not get another bottle.

Kind of on par with my experience.  It was an OK scotch if you don't read the bottle first.  I didn't get much if any smoke, it seemed like a speyside almost.

For those that don't have a bottle of it to read, it basically says "this is the wildest smokiest scotch ever, turn off your smoke detectors because when the bottle opens, it will be like you've opened a portal to hell with black smoke pouring out. It's got all the big Islay flavours.  Very Vigorous, not for the feint of heart!"   Ok ok the first half of that I might have paraphrased.... but the bottle writes a big cheque that the taste can't cash.  It's fine, but at the price there's other better scotch.

3 minutes ago, punch clown said:

didn't care much for the 25 Bowmore.  the vintage cask was the one for the three of us.  the auch whatever virgin cask tasted like any old plain rye but their 21YO was pretty good.  the guy doing the presentation was super.

Signatory vintage Cask strength collection? What age?

On 4/11/2017 at 0:34 PM, Rye said:

That Bowmore 25yr is pretty tasty stuff imo. Enjoy the tasting!

I preferred the 23 overwhelmingly.  I found the 25 a bit off.  Almost phenolic.

A couple BOTL's and I were discussing this and it got to an interesting conversation.  I've had a few very well aged scotches, and find them hit and miss, which was the common experience there as well.  And it got us to talking. 

How is it that they let a cask age to 23-40 years?  It's typically that as they sample it, it's not quite ready for release yet (or so goes our understanding).  Like when a cask has hit 15 years and they go "hot damn, thats a winner, bottle it up!" do they end up taking all of the younger casks when they're great? Or do they try some and go "this one is gangbusters, but we should sit on it for another decade and see what happens?"  Are the ones they don't pull at 18 not great casks, or have they just not hit their prime?  Basically, if they end up pulling casks when they hit their prime for bottlings, does that mean the ones that are at the older ages are not the prime casks/booze?

It's an interesting thought.  I think with smaller distilleries this may well be the case, but with the bigger ones and the number of independent bottlers out there, you'd think someone like Bowmore wouldn't have any issue selling off a 25 year cask if it wasn't up to their specs...

On 10/04/2017 at 0:44 PM, vcool said:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on that smokehead.

I had a bottle a while ago. Reminded me of Auld Reekie from Duncan Taylor. A bit like Talisker-level smokiness but without the Talisker manners.

Friday night went to a friend's house and had some Macallan 12 Double Oak.  

Smooth. Easy to drink.

Drank side by side by side with the 12 Sherry and the Edition no. 2.

Found the double to be "watered down" and lacking character. Tasted like a smooth blend. No burn, no heat, no depth. Really nothing remarkable or memorable at all. Some sweetness did come through with some water. 

The 12 Sherry was the easy winner for me, but the Edition 2 was very interesting and had a ton of character. I am eager to try the Edition 2 again after some weeks open.

For the price, the Mac 12 Double has one spot in my bar for me. Not more.

Disappointed.