Scotch talk

Louich

16 minutes ago, BRAC said:

Don't know about that. We got the 43%abv version here in Alberta as well.

It's hard to find info on this...it appears that 40% is standard for UK and Canada...QC, BC, ON seem to have 40%...All I could find was on WhiskyNotes...perhaps AB sources form the US?

'Originally a US exclusive, Macallan Double Cask is now available in Europe as well. Like the 12 Year Old Sherry Oak, it is a vatting of American and European Oak sherry seasoned casks, albeit with a higher proportion of American oak (supposedly around 50:50). It’s bottled at 40% – apparently they went for 43% in the US."

4 minutes ago, Cisco said:

It's hard to find info on this...it appears that 40% is standard for UK and Canada...QC, BC, ON seem to have 40%...All I could find was on WhiskyNotes...

'Originally a US exclusive, Macallan Double Cask is now available in Europe as well. Like the 12 Year Old Sherry Oak, it is a vatting of American and European Oak sherry seasoned casks, albeit with a higher proportion of American oak (supposedly around 50:50). It’s bottled at 40% – apparently they went for 43% in the US."

Hmmm interesting

5 hours ago, Cisco said:

It's hard to find info on this...it appears that 40% is standard for UK and Canada...QC, BC, ON seem to have 40%...All I could find was on WhiskyNotes...perhaps AB sources form the US?

I would be very surprised if they used as much Euro casks as American cask. Also, what exactly does "sherry seasoned" mean? It is entirely possible that Macallan sent the casks over to the sherry producers in Spain to rinse the casks for a couple weeks in sherry and then just dump the liquid. 

I wonder if they are all toasted as the rule for sherry as opposed to scorched and burned for bourbon, and what the ratio is.

Will crack my bottle soon and taste for myself. Not so happy with 40%, chill filtration and coloring. Would have liked 46%, non-CF, and natural color....but its a relatively affordable age statement Macallan bottle in Canada so that's good.

14 minutes ago, Fatso said:

I would be very surprised if they used as much Euro casks as American cask. Also, what exactly does "sherry seasoned" mean? It is entirely possible that Macallan sent the casks over to the sherry producers in Spain to rinse the casks for a couple weeks in sherry and then just dump the liquid. 

I wonder if they are all toasted as the rule for sherry as opposed to scorched and burned for bourbon, and what the ratio is.

Will crack my bottle soon and taste for myself. Not so happy with 40%, chill filtration and coloring. Would have liked 46%, non-CF, and natural color....but its a relatively affordable age statement Macallan bottle in Canada so that's good.

40% abv and chill filtered yes, but coloured no. Macallan doesn't use colouring and they point to that fact every chance they get.

34 minutes ago, BRAC said:

40% abv and chill filtered yes, but coloured no. Macallan doesn't use colouring and they point to that fact every chance they get.

I see it now. It wasn't emphasized on front of packaging as most do. It was in the second paragraph on the back of the box. Strange place to advertise that fact.

Eight months in sherry casks and they use the sherry three times to season casks before they send it to their vinegar factory.

9 hours ago, Craftsman said:

Eight months in sherry casks and they use the sherry three times to season casks before they send it to their vinegar factory.

Is that written on the back of the box? I heard/read somewhere (I believe it may have been an official Macallan video...I will search for it) that it is 2 years of drying and seasoning for the oloroso sherry casks. Any idea if all casks are first fill or only a very select handful?

2 minutes ago, Frodo said:

It's getting so that you need to buy in bulk when the deals are there...

Yep. Limited availability (notice I did not say production) mixed with Gov't monopoly killing any possibility of competition and free market, Rare return stocking of bottles and exorbitant pricing. 

When there is a deal, BUY!!!

As for the Laga 8. At 100 I'd buy one for the collection but 20 bucks for 8 more years is a no brainer IMO?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Makes sense but I guess it's a just a question of personal preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense but I guess it's a just a question of personal preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. It is all that matters. It is just an impossible call to detemine the pricing of bottles. Last lagavulin 12 ys cs I boight costed 112 bucks and now they are more expensive that the DE at 150ish (Which I bought lots of at 99 when I
Started in the scotch world)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk