Stinky cup holder ashtray thoughts

holidaynation

If you smoke in your vehicle or perhaps a lounge chair with a cup holder, this may be of interest. Then again if ya do, ya probably already figured it out.  In my van it wasn't a concern as my large glass ashtray fit in  the centre console, and with the exception of extreme cornering or Ottawa style potholes, never lost a dart.  When I decided to blaze in my car however, it was more problematic.  I had spied these on Amazon but thought they were over priced and that I would find something cheaper; the search included other similar type butt trays, clamps and holders etc.etc. . In the end I conceded and was fortunate to catch one on sale on amazon. Here's what I think.

My options limited by vehicle layout certainly helped me to decide, and at original price I figure I would still be happy with my purchase, and on sale, consider it a great deal.

It seems solid and well made, it is slimmer than my cup holder, but doesn't bobble around, and a cardboard coffee sleeve shims it up perfect.

When the lid is open, it doesn't balance on its own, so not table top friendly, but when in a cup holder is a firm support.

The spring clamps on the side of the rest are light and hold a dart in place without squishing it (I've only gone up to a 54), but the edges are sharp so I have been cautious placing and removing my dart. I have used it with as small as a 40 ring gauge with little concern, but have been careful as the smoke can get caught under the springs. 

As the rest/lid opens up to the side it supports a toro without issues, but does take up space. Therefore I am not able to use it on the drivers side as it sits (slightly) awkwardly under my leg. It does however work good on the passenger side holder and still leaves me a spot for my coffee.  Haven't had occasion to worry about a passenger's thought on this yet 😉

When nubbed, in she goes, close the lid and done.

There are probably other options somewhere but I haven't found it yet. I think I will probably find a bean bag weighted cup holder for the BBQ, and perhaps a floaty toy for lounging on the water.

20190403_200822.jpg

20190402_085830.jpg

20190403_050712.jpg

I've had one in my truck for a few years now and I like it alot. It fits nicely into the centre console cupholder and leaves me room for a coffee as well, then goes into the door pocket when I'm not using it.

My only complaint is that, being left-handed (and unable to smoke properly with my right hand), I don't usually use it for ash while driving since my truck doesn't have a cupholder on the left. I hadn't thought of this before purchasing it, but it does make a great place to toss the nub of my cigar instead of it going out the window or into a coffee cup.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...