Any sportsmen?

eastcoasthunter

I like fishing but don't do much of it these days.

LOVE hunting and get out every chance I get which hasn't been often this year due to much time spent at work. Archery hunt locally for deer and usually go up north, Sudbury area, each year for bear, moose, deer. Our group was lucky enough to get a nice bull moose this year. My brother shot it...was his first big game animal ever.

Hunt deer locally at my uncles farm in Essex County. Haven't been out more than 3-4 times this year though. Off all next week so hoping to hunt every day and put some venison in the freezer before the season ends...we'll see? I'm usually fortunate enough to get at least one deer a year off the farm, sometimes two if I can get out often enough.

9 hours ago, j.krug said:

I like fishing but don't do much of it these days.

LOVE hunting and get out every chance I get which hasn't been often this year due to much time spent at work. Archery hunt locally for deer and usually go up north, Sudbury area, each year for bear, moose, deer. Our group was lucky enough to get a nice bull moose this year. My brother shot it...was his first big game animal ever.

Hunt deer locally at my uncles farm in Essex County. Haven't been out more than 3-4 times this year though. Off all next week so hoping to hunt every day and put some venison in the freezer before the season ends...we'll see? I'm usually fortunate enough to get at least one deer a year off the farm, sometimes two if I can get out often enough.

Sounds awesome! Deer season is still open there? Ours ended weeks ago. I got my first deer this year on my third season hunting. Heavy bodied 4 pointer. Around 180lb field dressed, he ran about 20 feet and was out before he hit the ground. Butcher found a broad head in his neck, I imagine he was in some serious pain but was a very healthy deer otherwise

I do a bit of both.  Its been a long time since i've gone for big game but every year we got for Duck and Geese.   This year has been a bad year for Fishing and hunting for me.   Would love to have the time to get out there more.  My boys are getting to the age where I could take them out hunting with me but I'm afraid i'd be too tempted to shoot their tablets right out of their hand.    

This year is shaping out to be a colder winter than last year so hopefully i can continue our annual CCF ice fishing herf.  Bring on the ice!!!

2 hours ago, eastcoasthunter said:

Sounds awesome! Deer season is still open there? Ours ended weeks ago. I got my first deer this year on my third season hunting. Heavy bodied 4 pointer. Around 180lb field dressed, he ran about 20 feet and was out before he hit the ground. Butcher found a broad head in his neck, I imagine he was in some serious pain but was a very healthy deer otherwise

Congrats on that first one !! Over here we call it ``beginners luck`` as the 1st timer always gets one !!

Been hunting / fishing since my young age, courtesy of my dad...Many years together going on a whitetail hunt or trout - walleye fishing trips. On my part I was extensively involved in waterfowl hunting for more that 20yrs, even had the big 10 Ga for that purpose !! Many many successfull hunts & happy times...I also did a lot off upland hunting, trying out various over-unders on grouse & woodcock...

Pretty slow in the last few years (read as I stopped hunting) as my dad passed away a few years ago & most hunting partners were lost as times changes...But one day I'll get back at it...;)

Use to do a good bit of duck and goose hunting too...no 10 guage though...can you say BOOM!! lol
Lost touch with those hunting partners and don't really have a place to hunt right now.

My dad lives up north now so I don't hunt with him as often but still cherish hunting with him a couple times a year. We got our moose on his property this year. 180 acres just outside of Thunder Bay.

My wife and youngest daughter just got their hunting license and PAL this summer so looking forward to many good hunting memories with them. My oldest daughter plans to get hers too when she's not so busy with school.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, j.krug said:

Use to do a good bit of duck and goose hunting too...no 10 guage though...can you say BOOM!! lol
Lost touch with those hunting partners and don't really have a place to hunt right now.

My dad lives up north now so I don't hunt with him as often but still cherish hunting with him a couple times a year. We got our moose on his property this year. 180 acres just outside of Thunder Bay.

My wife and youngest daughter just got their hunting license and PAL this summer so looking forward to many good hunting memories with them. My oldest daughter plans to get hers too when she's not so busy with school.

if you every find yourself a little further East I'd be happy to take you out to bang some geese and ducks :)  i even have a 10 gauge if you wanna work out. 

2 hours ago, j.krug said:

Awesome to hear all your ladies are getting into it!

5 hours ago, j.krug said:

J.Krug, We're not that far apart, I'm mostly a Bird/Rabbit hunter but your right the key is finding a place to hunt.

7 hours ago, eastcoasthunter said:

Awesome to hear all your ladies are getting into it!

Ya, I'm really happy about that too. I have 3 daughters and they've always enjoyed shooting my long guns and handguns with me as well as our crossbows. It makes a man smile to see his pretty little daughters sending lead downrange from a .45!! :D

The last couple years the oldest and youngest have gone hunting with me a few times and have really enjoyed it and wanted to get into it so I have encouraged them and helped to foster an interest in it for them. Very, very special to hunt with them now. Wifey likes shooting the crossbows but is a little intimidated by the firearms but that's ok. We'll have fun together archery hunting locally. :)

4 hours ago, Yukon Jack said:

J.Krug, We're not that far apart, I'm mostly a Bird/Rabbit hunter but your right the key is finding a place to hunt.

Very cool that we are so close...practically neighbours for Pete's sake.

Hunting is very popular in our area and interest/participation is growing steadily. I'm pretty fortunate to have my uncle's farm to hunt and it's only 10 minutes from my house. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have his place to hunt. It's a deer hot spot too!!

We'll have to try and meet up for a smoke and talk up some hunting and shooting one day soon. :)

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Brah said:

Another sportsman here. Like most, I don't get out as often as I'd like to but I'm hoping to turn that around in 2017. Both my sons go for their PAL and hunter courses in early April and I hope to bag some waterfowl with them this coming fall.

Can't wait for the turkey opener.

Turkey hunting would be a blast. We don't have any here on the east coast.

1 hour ago, j.krug said:

Very excited for the turkey opener. I already have it booked off at work. Gobble Gobble!! :)

Lucky you! Part of me wishes they would introduce some wild turkey here in Nova Scotia but I'm sure how it would effect the wildlife. It would probably give the damage coyotes more to eat and cause their population to grow