Best low Nicotine but flavourful tobacco recommendation

Cold Smoke

A lot of people like the frog Morton series by McClellends, they are low nicotine and for a beginner they're a good starting point, there's lots though to choose from, most pipe blends are on the low end of the nicotine spectrum.  Flavour comes down to personal taste, something that tastes good to one person might taste like crap to another, or not have any taste really

Actually Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding would be a good one @Cold Smoke.  It's very low in the nicotine and big on flavor, alot of people complain that it doesn't have enough nicotine in it.  But honestly if you smoke cigars pretty much any cigar has alot more nicotine than any pipe tobacco I can think of except maybe twists and ropes and some of the strong flakes by G&H.  You live up in Iqualit?   My little brother and his wife live up there, he'll be down soon for my wedding, you should send me your address and I'll give him some stuff to either bring you or mail it from there.  He lives by the road to nowhere if you know what that is, I've never been there, but hopefully next spring I'll go there with my soon to be wife.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2016 at 11:51 PM, Andy said:

Actually Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding would be a good one @Cold Smoke.  It's very low in the nicotine and big on flavor, alot of people complain that it doesn't have enough nicotine in it.  But honestly if you smoke cigars pretty much any cigar has alot more nicotine than any pipe tobacco I can think of except maybe twists and ropes and some of the strong flakes by G&H.  You live up in Iqualit?   My little brother and his wife live up there, he'll be down soon for my wedding, you should send me your address and I'll give him some stuff to either bring you or mail it from there.  He lives by the road to nowhere if you know what that is, I've never been there, but hopefully next spring I'll go there with my soon to be wife.

Thanks for the recommendation and offer.

Yeah, the Road To Nowhere is the street with no sign left as the tourists keep stealing them. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's quite the collection over a couple of months @Cold Smoke!  Have had a few of those and I am sure you will enjoy them.  I too look for lower nicotine ones if I can find them.  Have not had the Plum Pudding, but have wanted to put some in a future order.  How is it?  
From the Dunhill I have tried (EMP & especially Nightcap) I do notice the nicotine in them.  Were the above recommended as lower nic blends?

Plum pudding has some good flavor and is really low nicotine, alot of pipe smokers complain it doesn't have enough.  It's really well balanced and has that typical english flavor but with a bit of something extra,  almost like a cardamon spice flavor.   Nightcap has a pretty good dose of nicotine in it, apparantly when it was made by murray's before it went off the market for a bit it was a nicotine powerhouse.  EMP I find to be about a medium, I smoke it every day in the morning with my coffee in the cooler months, sometimes it will affect me a bit.  The Frog Morton series are all low nicotine.  Orlik Golden sliced is low nicotine as well.

Both more of a medium nic hit but I think my favorite tobaccos so far (about a year into pipes) has been Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake (Virginia/Perique). My first tobacco was Carter Hall, a mild burley/virgina, didn't care fir it at first but a good forgiving beginner tobacco that I rather enjoy now.

On 10/16/2016 at 10:25 PM, Bluenoser said:

Both more of a medium nic hit but I think my favorite tobaccos so far (about a year into pipes) has been Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake (Virginia/Perique). My first tobacco was Carter Hall, a mild burley/virgina, didn't care fir it at first but a good forgiving beginner tobacco that I rather enjoy now.

I think I shall be ordering some of that Carter Hall stuff and then I should probably be good for a while.

On 10/15/2016 at 10:51 PM, RedRum said:

From the Dunhill I have tried (EMP & especially Nightcap) I do notice the nicotine in them.  Were the above recommended as lower nic blends?

No. I just liked what I had read about them. I like but that said, like you, the nicotine hits me pretty hard on a full bowl of EMP. I haven't yet tried the Nightcap.

The Nightcap, to me at least, seems to have about twice the punch of the EMP.  They are both pretty tasty though.  I have to go slow and take a few breaks when smoking that one. You have worked up quite the collection.  I think that for those of us that do that drunk surfing too often, they should have a USB breathalyzer to lock us out of online purchasing...  especially those of us who are married!   :P

Enjoy! 

I find you can build up a nicotine tolerance pretty quickly, since I've gotten into Brown bogie, which is one of the strongest tobacco's available, it doesn't really phase me.  When I first started smoking it after about 3-4 puffs I would get the hiccups, but not green feeling.    Sometimes I'll get the hiccups  but not very regularly anymore.   If anything it teaches you how to smoke properly, which isn't about big clouds of smoke, it's slow sipping, almost letting the pipe go out, then puffing slowly again until the ember gets going, having a puff, repeat.  Eventually you should be able to smoke a bowl to the bottom with one light if you're feeling like it, but your pack has to be right and your technique also.  Another really strong blend I find is Billy Budd by C&D, that makes Nightcap look like nothing.  Something much stronger than brown bogie is G&H dark flake, and about the top of the charts is cotton bowl twist.   Really I find a cigar blows away the pipe in regards to nicotine though.   Apparantly when nightcap was blended by murray's it was a super strong blend, I would rate it about a medium now.  EMP will sort of affect me but I always have it on an empty stomach with a cup of coffee.   I've never had the hiccups from nightcap or EMP.   Getting the hiccups which is referred to as the niccups by pipe smokers is indicative of a strong blend.