PolarBear

CBSA Tobacco Limits Question for CCF

Looking for some help from the regular travelers out there in CCF land...

A colleague is heading to Varadero next week and is willing to bring back cigars. Her husband will be using his duty free limit for cigarettes as he smokes. I have had many successful mules but none have ever been a cigarette smoker.

Deciphering the CBSA/gov't Canada websites requires a much higher level of intelligence than I can ever hope to attain. I can ascertain that the per person limit for cigarettes is 200 and the per person limit for cigars is 50.

• Is it one or the other (200 cigarettes OR 50 cigars)?   -or-
  • can they be combined (200 cigarettes AND 50 cigars)?

I appreciate any feedback from experience as I know everything is up for interpretation by the agents upon your return.

Thanks!

@PolarBear I can confirm that you can have both 200 Cigarettes and 50 Cigars. If your refer to point 4 in the screen shot posted by @SlowBurn you will note it states "and" which means you can have both. The point above that with the alcohol example states "or" which means you can only have one of the items noted.

From official Canada Travel website:

https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/what-you-can-bring-home-to-canada#tobacco

Tobacco products

If you are 18 years of age or over, you are allowed to bring in all of the following amounts of tobacco into Canada duty- and taxes-free within your personal exemption:

• 200 cigarettes
  • 50 cigars
  • 200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco, and
  • 200 tobacco sticks.

We just came back from the U.S. by car last week. There were three adults and I brought back 150 cigars, 600 cigarettes, and beer. All items claimed with boarder agent and no issues. 

1 hour ago, holidaynation said:

So if stories and ciggys are tobacco sticks, what exactly are tobacco sticks?   To bad you can't replace cigarettes with more cigars.

I looked this up a while back and found out tobacco sticks are some kind of small stick (like toothpick small) of tobacco that you put into a device that smokelessly burns it.

21 minutes ago, Burtess said:

I looked this up a while back and found out tobacco sticks are some kind of small stick (like toothpick small) of tobacco that you put into a device that smokelessly burns it.

Thanks for that, i am surprised you could understand my auto corrected sentence lol.