Going to Riviera Maya Mexico in 2 weeks, any suggestions?

HakkaDog

Hey everyone, it's been a long time I posted on CCF.  I'm going to Riviera Maya in 2 weeks at the Luxury Bahia Principe resort. This is my first time going anywhere aside from Cuba. Just wanted some suggestions from anyone who has visited the same region on getting cigars? authenticity issues? Duty Free cigars? Any suggestions in general regarding travelling outside the resort. Much appreciated again for your assistance. 

I have been in that area a couple of times and was never able to find authentic Cuban cigars.  Now for fake Cubans, they were everywhere!  I would stay away from the "Lauro" brand in Playa del Carmen.  They are expensive for a very cheep brand!  The Te-amo, A.Turrent and Del Paraiso cigars are not bad.  I am not a big fan of Mexican cigars.  Good luck!

I stayed @ Grand Sirenis there a few years ago, and I would recommend bringing your own with you as @Rone stated. Very tough to find authentic cigars on 5th ave in Playa. If you do, they are ridiculously expensive and when I was there, they wouldn't budge on the price. I was pretty new to the cigar scene and ended up buying a box of 25 assorted Cubans which looked good to me in the store, but upon further inspection when I got home, were fakes. All of these assorted "Cubans" in the box, tasted the same, looked the same, but had different bands on them. My bad. 

bring your own cigars.  just got back last week.  do the day trip to isla mujeres.  great time golf carting around the island.  get your booze at the airport.  they had all the good tequilas and rums.  zacapa XO,  don julio 1942, cuervo family reserva.  good selection of top shelf spirits.

did I mention bring your own cigars......lol.  mexico has a 25 cigar P/P import limit.  just a heads up

Thank you for all the info everyone. I figured Cubans would be out of the question down there, same issue I had in the Dominican. I'll definitely get a bottle of tequila, Don Julio is a must buy. Did anyone have any issues bringing in their own cigars into Mexico through the luggage? 

51 minutes ago, HakkaDog said:

Thank you for all the info everyone. I figured Cubans would be out of the question down there, same issue I had in the Dominican. I'll definitely get a bottle of tequila, Don Julio is a must buy. Did anyone have any issues bringing in their own cigars into Mexico through the luggage? 

Never have an issue bringing cigars anywhere. But certainly not Mexico. I think they have a 25 ct limit for bringing them in though. 

• 3 months later...

Been to Mexico about 20 times.  BYOC.  Cuban Cigars in Mexico, if not fake, are just as expensive as retail in Ontario.  The Cancun duty free has had the odd "sale" on cigars in their humidor.  One time Cohiba 5 pack petacas were 25% off, which made for a decent bargain.  And another time all Davidoff stuff was 30% off. If the Mexican regionals are in stock, expect to pay about $40/stick.   Tequila is the far better pursuit. :) Look for Classe Azul to bring home.  On the cheaper side, Hornitos Anejo is a must have.  Dont bother with the cheap stuff. I'm sure your resort will have many to choose from.  Try them all!  

1 hour ago, bundwallah said:

Been to Mexico about 20 times.  BYOC.  Cuban Cigars in Mexico, if not fake, are just as expensive as retail in Ontario.  The Cancun duty free has had the odd "sale" on cigars in their humidor.  One time Cohiba 5 pack petacas were 25% off, which made for a decent bargain.  And another time all Davidoff stuff was 30% off. If the Mexican regionals are in stock, expect to pay about $40/stick.   Tequila is the far better pursuit. :) Look for Classe Azul to bring home.  On the cheaper side, Hornitos Anejo is a must have.  Dont bother with the cheap stuff. I'm sure your resort will have many to choose from.  Try them all!  

Well I do have a duty free discount of 20% when travelling -- so I guess will have to see how that works out. I suppose I can buy at the Canadian Duty free travelling TO Cancun with 20% off if it makes sense -- but in that case I probably should just dip into my own humidor. Now, I DO like Tequila (after realizing PATRÓN is pretty... ugh). I'll look to both the Classe Azul and Hornito Anejo. Thanks much! 

43 minutes ago, 7BitCigar said:

Well I do have a duty free discount of 20% when travelling -- so I guess will have to see how that works out. I suppose I can buy at the Canadian Duty free travelling TO Cancun with 20% off if it makes sense -- but in that case I probably should just dip into my own humidor. Now, I DO like Tequila (after realizing PATRÓN is pretty... ugh). I'll look to both the Classe Azul and Hornito Anejo. Thanks much! 

You might be able to grab something decent with that discount. If you know what the equivalent CAD price is, you can see if it's worth it. Of course, they will charge in USD.   Patron is overrated IMO.  :D Classe Azul comes in really nice hand made porcelain bottles.  The Tequila inside is the best I've tasted AFIAC.  You're going to a Mexican resort. There will be no shortage of them to try.  Just avoid the lime and salt thing if you want to really experience the taste.  The Cancun DF also has a little stand with about 15 Tequila brands you can sample before you buy.  I will add, you're a brave soul going to Mexico in summer.  The latest I've ever gone was late May and the pools were not able to provide any heat relief!  :lol:  But ice cold margaritas might.  ;)  

4 hours ago, WaxxonMTL said:

So the casa del habano in cancun is no good? I have a trip to mexico planned with the GF in february 2020 ans was already looking at my option to gets some cigars.

I read elsewhere that you might as well go to the duty free at the airport after landing — beside where you pickup your luggage.

• 2 months later...

Hey sorry for the late reply.  I went to Bahia Principe Xian Kaan I think it was called, the resort itself is really nice, problem is this place is 5 resorts in one and it was massive. I spent more time on the shuttle car going around, the map of the shuttle car system looked like a subway map.  I would have to say Maya Riviera had the worst beach I have ever seen in my life, not sure if it's due to this resort, but it was just terrible.  I don't think I will ever be going back to Mexico, not worth it for the price compared to Dominican or Cuba. 

Anyways, on to the topic at hand, yes absolutely BYOC.  I brought about 10 with me, I didn't end up buying any of the local stuff at the gift shop.  They all Cubans at the hotel store and Duty Free, but it's a complete rip off, not worth buying any cigars from there.