Here are some good fakes

Toolguy

I'm in Barbados and on the hunt some sticks to take home.  Got excited when I was quoted some good prices on my pre-trip investigation.  Upon arrival I became suspicious.  If someone handed me one of these, I would likely think it was real but all of them together, ???  It's the boxes that got me worried.  That and the bands are not placed consistently.  Behikes!  Really.  Apparently, the owner of the shop lives in Cuba and they boat them over.  This I believe but I'm thinking they boat over fakes.  They look really good and the rolls look good.  Prices are too good to be true.  $200 US for a box of Cohiba Robustos or Esplendidos.  I want to believe they are real but can't.

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

I did find another shop with excellent humidor full of great boxes.  Alas they are about 3.5x YUL prices.  Apparently, they have to buy them from Spain.  For whatever reason, they can't import directly from Cuba and they have exorbitant duties/taxes just like Canada.

44 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

I did find another shop with excellent humidor full of great boxes.  Alas they are about 3.5x YUL prices.  Apparently, they have to buy them from Spain.  For whatever reason, they can't import directly from Cuba and they have exorbitant duties/taxes just like Canada.

I would guess that it would just be cheaper to buy in Canada?

Worst thing you could do is buy a single cigar, smoke it, if it's good ask yourself is it worth 200 a box?  If you can answer yes, buy a box, take off the bands, and you have yourself a box of good Cigars for 200$ you'll never be able to get again.  If it's terrible tell the owner his fake Cubans suck.  Just my thoughts on the subject