Headed to Cuba in 9 days

John

well, I'm heading to Cuba in a week and a bit for my first vacation in 5 years! I know Irma might put a slight damper on things but hopefully it and Jose will be past by then. I'm getting pretty excited to pick up a couple boxes while I'm there 

further to this: I do have a question. I have a fairly nice watch which I wear everyday and quite frankly feel naked without but I have been admonished by friends and family not to wear it to Cuba. It's insured so not the end of the world if lost but people are telling me that 1. It's rude to wear something like that in a poor country and 2. I am asking to get robbed

thoughts?

1 minute ago, Burtess said:

Where are you headed?  

If Cayo Coco have seen lots of videos and posts of quite severe destruction.

Nice watch?  Wear it but just make sure you tip heavy 😋

Headed to Veradero but we were planning a day trip to Havana. I'm going to head out and grab stuff to give out as tips next week (and cash too)

I emailed the boys at the lcdh at Cayo Santa Maria and they made it out okay. No water or electricity and the shape of the hotels and causeway are unknown. It was just great to hear that they are safe. As for bringing you watch, I wouldn't bring it just in case I have a little too much to drink and end up dropping it or losing it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

On 2017-09-09 at 9:39 PM, John said:

well, I'm heading to Cuba in a week and a bit for my first vacation in 5 years! I know Irma might put a slight damper on things but hopefully it and Jose will be past by then. I'm getting pretty excited to pick up a couple boxes while I'm there 

further to this: I do have a question. I have a fairly nice watch which I wear everyday and quite frankly feel naked without but I have been admonished by friends and family not to wear it to Cuba. It's insured so not the end of the world if lost but people are telling me that 1. It's rude to wear something like that in a poor country and 2. I am asking to get robbed

thoughts?

for years i wore my GShock in cuba, it's the titanium triple sensor version, i'm telling you it drew attention much more than my omega i forgot on my wrist this year. Cubans tend to wear huge flashy watches so unless you have a Breitling can't see anyone to really notice it.

3 minutes ago, vladdraq said:

for years i wore my GShock in cuba, it's the titanium triple sensor version, i'm telling you it drew attention much more than my omega i forgot on my wrist this year. Cubans tend to wear huge flashy watches so unless you have a Breitling can't see anyone to really notice it.

Okay, thanks. Mines a submariner so not overly flashy but fairly recognizable 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Trip was pretty good. I bought a box of psd4 and cohiba robusto. I’m vert glad I saw the government price list before I went though, I had a guy in the store try and sell me some ryj no.3 for 4x the list price haha. Spent a day in Havana, and went to varadero a couple afternoons. Apart from that, we got a little scuba diving in, lots of cigars, and lots of booze. I honestly don’t know if I’ll go back though. Food was terrible 

On 10/14/2017 at 10:27 PM, John said:

Trip was pretty good. I bought a box of psd4 and cohiba robusto. I’m vert glad I saw the government price list before I went though, I had a guy in the store try and sell me some ryj no.3 for 4x the list price haha. Spent a day in Havana, and went to varadero a couple afternoons. Apart from that, we got a little scuba diving in, lots of cigars, and lots of booze. I honestly don’t know if I’ll go back though. Food was terrible 

Did you eat off resort at all?

On 10/16/2017 at 5:52 PM, vcool said:

Did you eat off resort at all?

No, I did't really... We had lunch in Havana one day and lunch on the dive boat. Lunch on the dive boat was the best thing I ate the whole time, fresh lobster... ans it only cost 12CUC