Tequila

Jazzboy

Hello all,

A cousin of mine just got back from Mexico. Without me asking for anything, i brought me a bottle of tequila. Apparently he told the store owner that i smoke cigars and this is the bottle he suggested. I don't know anything about tequila and i never tasted it in my life. It does not show on the picture but there is a worm in the bottle.

Does any of you know anything about this particular bottle ?

Thanks.

25212668674_412e4a76bd_c.jpgTequila Hijos De Villa by Sylvain Tetreault, on Flickr

I haven't had this particular bottling but I'll put up 3 things that make it suspect for me...

1) Con Gusanito (with worm): it is mostly Mezcal not Tequila comes with the worm in with the bottle. Gimmicky practice and most of the reputable craft distillers will not do this.

2) Aging designation "Oro" (gold): means that coloring - most likely spirit caramel - not aging is used for the color. So much is usually used that it dumbs down the brightness of the agave flavours. Again, not done by reputable craft distillers.

3) No 100% agave designation: Any tequila made only with agave will state that on the label. The rest will use 60% agave and 40% sugar or syrup when bottled in Mexico because that's cheaper than agave and will ferment well.

It actually might work with cigars (I wouldn't know). But more likely the store owner was trying to make a sale and made a suggestion in hopes your cousin would bite. Still nice of your cousin to think of you!

Looks like a shots bottle for a party kind of tequila IMHO...

I haven't had this particular bottling but I'll put up 3 things that make it suspect for me...

1) Con Gusanito (with worm): it is mostly Mezcal not Tequila comes with the worm in with the bottle. Gimmicky practice and most of the reputable craft distillers will not do this.

2) Aging designation "Oro" (gold): means that coloring - most likely spirit caramel - not aging is used for the color. So much is usually used that it dumbs down the brightness of the agave flavours. Again, not done by reputable craft distillers.

3) No 100% agave designation: Any tequila made only with agave will state that on the label. The rest will use 60% agave and 40% sugar or syrup when bottled in Mexico because that's cheaper than agave and will ferment well.

It actually might work with cigars (I wouldn't know). But more likely the store owner was trying to make a sale and made a suggestion in hopes your cousin would bite. Still nice of your cousin to think of you!

Looks like a shots bottle for a party kind of tequila IMHO...

Thanks Frodo for providing useful information on that bottle. I might try it someday but i mus admit i don't have much interest for tequila in general. I think i will keep it until a see my cousin again and we can have a shot or two together this summer around the BBQ

• 1 year later...

If there's a worm in the bottle its most likely Mezcal.  Not Tequila. It's made from the same plant but via a different and "cheaper' process.  It's more on the smokey side like a scotch. There's some really good Tequila out there that goes well with cigars.  Mainly the Anejo and Reposado ones. They're amber in color, not clear. Clear is for shooters and mixers only.  

I'll second what @Frodo said too.  Sounds like a cheaper version of Mezcal.  

@Rye  very cool bottle.  If you can get your hands on a Tequila called "Classe Azul" grab it.  It comes in hand made white porcelain bottles.  Smooth, buttery flavour.  Best I've ever had so far.

I think I've seen it but I am very reluctant to drop Scotch prices on tequila's. I was given a bottle of oak barrelled Herradurra that was an incredible sipper, but shit a brick when I went to replace it and found it sells for 350+ a bottle here.
Too many good ones in the sub 100 range and I've found I've been good at kicking the fancy packaging habit in all my luxuries purchases the past few years.

5 hours ago, Rye said:

My girl brought this tequila over last week and we both enjoyed it very much.
Crushed the bottle already
00836a458bc193805d4793cb955143ce.jpg

Just saw this today at the lcbo, passed on it, but will hard back soon and grab one to try, been really enjoying a good tequila lately... I also haven't bit the bullet on the  "classe azul" bottle, one day I will tho.

On 5/30/2017 at 2:32 PM, Rye said:

I think I've seen it but I am very reluctant to drop Scotch prices on tequila's. I was given a bottle of oak barrelled Herradurra that was an incredible sipper, but shit a brick when I went to replace it and found it sells for 350+ a bottle here.
Too many good ones in the sub 100 range and I've found I've been good at kicking the fancy packaging habit in all my luxuries purchases the past few years.

It's a lot cheaper in Mexico. Of course.  $35USD for a 375ml bottle.  Canadian prices are of course a ripoff. If you know anyone coming back from Mexico out of Cancun, make  deal for it. :)  

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just picked this up, 100% blue agave and was 7$ off so 27$.  Gets really good reviews.  Ever since a friend gave me a shot of good sipping tequila I've been intrigued.   Tequila and tonic is another one of those drinks I'd never heard of so I can see some of those in my future if on the rocks isn't for me.   But overall I think tequila has gotten a bad rap from college kids downing cheap swill.  Also yes the worm in the bottle usually implies it's shitty 

156040287864330402093604538562.jpg

On 6/13/2019 at 1:18 AM, Andy said:

Just picked this up, 100% blue agave and was 7$ off so 27$.  Gets really good reviews.  Ever since a friend gave me a shot of good sipping tequila I've been intrigued.   Tequila and tonic is another one of those drinks I'd never heard of so I can see some of those in my future if on the rocks isn't for me.   But overall I think tequila has gotten a bad rap from college kids downing cheap swill.  Also yes the worm in the bottle usually implies it's shitty 

156040287864330402093604538562.jpg

I've had the Reposado and it's a decent drink, I bet this isn't bad either!