trevlan

private lounge "underground"

All this ranting and raving over the cigar bars lounges has got me thinking, yet again.

So I want to toss a serious question out there to you all.

I want/need honest answers no B/S.

If someone built a cigar smoke club, let's say a house with TV radio separate rooms for a private smoke, nice chairs, air exchange system etc. In the Toronto gta area.

1)Would you use it?

2)How much per year/month would you pay?

Bar would be BYOB, security system to allow entry, if you bring a non member as a guest you will pay an extra fee for them.

All members would go through a screening process.

Not only the questions above but I would also like to know

3)how far you you drive walk subway to get to this place? 5km - 15km radius?

Side note*** This is not built I am not planning anything this is just a question, I'm sure there has to be one but would be good to know if one was built what would you truly pay to use it?

Remember all above cost $$ house to buy/rent then the work to go into it etc all adds up.

Could be a cost of $2500 a month maybe $3000 and I'm talking property tax, water, hydro, gas etc.

Maintenance on the place.

Okay I'm going on too much now but I would like some simple replies please.

I would pay (x) on a yearly fee

I would travel (x) km

I would use it (x) times a year

I would use it (x) in the summer months and (y) in the winter months

alright mark, I'll bite. Sounds interesting enough :)

I would pay ($600 [50x 12]) on a yearly fee

I would travel (25) km

I would use it (50~) times a year

I would use it (15) in the summer months and (35) in the winter month

I would pay ($300 [25x 12]) on a yearly fee

I would travel (10) km

I would use it (35~) times a year

I would use it (10) in the summer months and (25) in the winter month

I would honestly not pay a yearly subscription or membership fee. Maybe ala cart on occasional use as a guest.

Heyy Khal. If it's in Scarborough, we can probably work out a package deal

The reason for not being interested is I have herf buddies across town and in the summer we get together only a few times a season.

For those rare occasions in winter. There are garages etc.

Again that is just me and I am being honest and objective.

The reason for not being interested is I have herf buddies across town and in the summer we get together only a few times a season.For those rare occasions in winter. There are garages etc.Again that is just me and I am being honest and objective.

I see where you are coming from, but wouldn't such a facility encourage MORE herfing? I mean, I'm quite sure my current smoking habits would change if I had a place like this to go. Just saying...

I see where you are coming from, but wouldn't such a facility encourage MORE herfing? I mean, I'm quite sure my current smoking habits would change if I had a place like this to go. Just saying...

I don't herf a lot due to commitments and responsibilities. Hence why I don't do it a lot even in summer. I only smoke 2 or 3 a week anyway.

I don't herf a lot due to commitments and responsibilities. Hence why I don't do it a lot even in summer. I only smoke 2 or 3 a week anyway.

That's being practical. I like to believe that I'd use this kind of facility a lot, but to be honest I'm not really sure.

It would still be nice to have the choice...

I would be interested in something like this.

I'd be willing to pay up to $60 a month ($720 yearly)

I would prefer something in the downtown Toronto core

In the summer i would use it maybe 15 times, but come winter/fall/spring i would say 40 times, on the low end.

It is a great idea but the very thing that gets me is that we now need to, if we wanted a (private) lounge, go out of our way by so much! The idea of paying for a place to enjoy cigars over already overpriced cigars is not appealing to me ... especially if it is something that could just be for free as part of a store. Just my view.

LOL,  I have a house, in the GTA.  For a small fee people could herf there..  LOL

But in all seriousness. It sounds like a good idea.  I'd be willing to pay like up to $60-100 a month for a membership.  

There used to be a place like that for Marijuana smokers.  It was $100 a year and the had a roof top patio with 3 private tents, and 3 indoor rooms.  You paid a yearly fee to be a member and guests had to pay per visit.  The 3 indoor rooms had nice sofas and flat screen tvs.  For an extra fee and deposit you could rent ps3's or xbox's.  They also had a snack bar downstairs.  

Toronto is really lacking in private social clubs.

It is a great idea but the very thing that gets me is that we now need to, if we wanted a (private) lounge, go out of our way by so much! The idea of paying for a place to enjoy cigars over already overpriced cigars is not appealing to me ... especially if it is something that could just be for free as part of a store. Just my view.

We have a couple cigar lounges in Calgary still, that were grandfathered in when the smoking ban was applied. They still charge a fee to use the lounge. I believe one is 1500$ a year.

Have contemplated this many times myself.  :)

• I would pay ($600 [50x 12]) on a yearly fee

Usage:

• Summer (2 - 5 times/month)
  • Winter (1 - 2 times/week)

Locations would need to be downtown Toronto or anywhere reasonably close to both Subway lines starting from Yonge/Bloor.  Anything too far our West, East or North will make it difficult.

Would want very strict screening on new members.  No drop in "buddies".  If this is to work, all members need to be like minded.  Otherwise, this is not worth sinking money into.

Would want very strict screening on new members.  No drop in "buddies".  If this is to work, all members need to be like minded.  Otherwise, this is not worth sinking money into.

I have to agree with this, it only takes 1 person to ruin it for everyone else.

the economics behind this is quite extensive.

factor in

setup costs: couches, TVs, ventilation system, security passes plus cameras, cost of buying a place, setting up a humidor plus monthly costs of heat, hydro, cable, internet etc, you would have to charge more than $50.00 a month membership.

Seeing the locations that people are looking for, that would be a VERY expensive endevour.

airstream_cigar_lounge_3.jpg

airstream_cigar_lounge_4.jpg

airstream_cigar_lounge_1.jpg

That's so awesome!

I personally wouldn't use the "herf house", I already have a house/yard/garage but I think it is a good idea and am sure many would appreciate it.

To Art's points.  This is more than a $50/per person/month endeavor.  We've talked about it a bit.  It will take serious investment by many people with legal agreements.

You'd most likely need to buy a private property (a home)

Location is key and if it's in Toronto. It's going to cost a lot of money.

If you get too few "investors" the per person cost is going to be huge.

If you get too many, you'll have a zoo.  Too many people = too many variables and potential screw ups to occur.

Some basic math.  My mother just sold her house in the Keele/Sheppard area for $400K.

post-189-0-57789300-1378219343_thumb.jpg

Those per use numbers are hurting.  You'd need a 100 members to even begin thinking this is viable.  Now, if we were able to rent a house, that'd be a huge difference.  However, I doubt the owner would consent to 20 - 40 guys using his/her property as a "Smoke easy"  :)

just based on the numbers you posted i think it is reasonable to hit 100 members and not worry about them all crashing the place. I have a feeling it will become like a Gym, where people will sign up and use it once in a blue moon.