Wine Thread

Cisco

Since I drink so much of it and there is no dedicated thread, I thought I'd get a wine thread started.

Tonight I am drinking a Cru Beaujolais, a Fleurie from 2009, one of the better recent vintages. While some regard Beaujolais as picnic style wines, I really enjoy the Cru offerings from great producers. These wine are some of the best values in France. Well they used to be, prices have gone up since the 2009 vintage. I often need buy these wines from the SAQ, as they have a better selection than the LCBO.

This wine is singing tonight. It's shed its baby fat but still has some fine red fruit flavours with enough acidity and tannins to balance it. It had a fine a mineral backbone, you can imagine the granite terroir the grapes were grown in while drinking this wine. It is a great food wine. There is a sophistication to the wine coupled with the fruity brashness found in Beaujolais. This wine is drinking well now and has the stuffing to age for a few more years but I don't see it getting better. **** out of five from me and I am a harsh critic (so my wife says) :) Salute!

d31b467d16cb6f3c48b3ec6dceec38e0.jpg

Finally ! Somewhere to post about wine. (like I dont spend enough time here lol).

These day I am particularly fond of the Languedoc Rousillon region. They produce some mighty bang for the buck there . Beaujolais village is a new discovery for me as I bought some this summer but foud the majority of the offering to be apperitive wine of something to pair with something light.

I bet I'll be postinf more when I finish my wine cellar that is taking much longer than expected to complete.

I'm a huge fan of wine also! I drink reds primarily but do enjoy the odd white. Definitely my booze of choice. I find red wine does not pair well with cigars though :(

I tend to prefer new world wines. Big fan of Aussie shiraz and California cabs. Also drink a lot of Spanish & Italian reds.

Been drinking a lot of this lately....

Beronia-Reserva-2008-Label.jpg

Cool.  More to banter about.  :)

I too find that red wines do not go well with cigars. Port is an exception.  I find Champagne, Cava or Prosecco pair beautifully with cigars.  I mostly drink reds with the odd white, here and there.  The wife and I drink a few staple wines for the most part and we try to keep it on the "cheap". I've had expensive bottles and some were excellent but not worth the price jump from the regular stuff I dink.  Besides, cheaper means more bottles plus less $'s away from my cigar obession.  :P  I'll take a few pics and post some of my favourites over the next few days.

I'm a huge fan of wine also! I drink reds primarily but do enjoy the odd white. Definitely my booze of choice. I find red wine does not pair well with cigars though :(

I tend to prefer new world wines. Big fan of Aussie shiraz and California cabs. Also drink a lot of Spanish & Italian reds.

Been drinking a lot of this lately....

Beronia-Reserva-2008-Label.jpg

Some great affordable wines coming out of Spain these days! Really enjoy this one too. This year's LCBO release was wonderful. The previous year (I believe it was an 07) was a stunner.

Had a glass of this last night.

04ad3354ed0a61e27787c0501e1517ed.jpg

Mmmm Lodi Old VInes....Zin used to be one of the better deal in California but over the years prices have crept up. You can still find good bottles in the low $17-$25 but most are now north of $25. While I usually don't pair my cigars with wine, I can see some Zinfandels pairing nicely with a medium bodied cigar.

Mmmm Lodi Old VInes....Zin used to be one of the better deal in California but over the years prices have crept up. You can still find good bottles in the low $17-$25 but most are now north of $25. While I usually don't pair my cigars with wine, I can see some Zinfandels pairing nicely with a medium bodied cigar.

No cigars w/ this last night. I think this was 24$ and was a good ,strong ,full bodied wine for sure. But so smooth.

Great thread-Warning, many pics..I am on the total end of the spectrum, I love wine with cigars.  In fact, it's hard to find a better combo than a full bodied Cab Sav from California, something chewy and chocolaty with a great cigar.  I also really enjoy many of the Niagara wines, such as Pillitteri, , Konzelmann, Pondview, SouthBrook, and so many other great ones.  Taking a sip of a full bodied red and then a puff of a cigar....wow, heaven. My humble opinion.  Here's some mouthwatering pics..lol. 

IMG_5677_zpsnfxe2bgo.jpg

IMG_6818_zpsw3tvfqgb.jpg

IMG_7050_zpsttmaaikx.jpg

IMG_9850_zpso4pssztu.jpg

IMG_1658_zpsavvke53i.jpg

IMG_3059_zpsku3noaue.jpg

IMG_2897_zps7kwquwt8.jpg

I'm not a big white wine drinker but I do like White Burgundy and I have collect many bottles over the years. This is the last bottle of three and is on its decline. While the 2005 vintage is somewhat hot for Chablis, this wine still displays the typical Chablis flavours without being overblown or tropical. This wine has peaked though and was better last year. It's showing its age. Still nice and drinkable.

I've stopped buying Fevre as many of my bottles have suffered from premature oxidization especially the 2004 vintage.

c0b29770132dc01a9e73b5f30473baee.jpg

Surprised I hadn't seen this thread yet. Just started drinking wine a few years ago and I've taken the plunge. I stick to California cabs, most italian and French reds, and italian whites. Oh and I don't get along with Shiraz and port. Latest find is a spinelli montepulciano that's priced at 7.50 (lcbo) but delivers much higher than that. I usually don't end up smoking a cigar with wine because I generally don't like drinking wine outside regardless of the time of year.

A couple recents:

post-404-0-75771600-1424575529_thumb.jpg

So far I can only find it in restaurants but would order it by the case if I could

And a white. Clean and crisp, all I ask of whites since I haven't tried many

post-404-0-19861300-1424575625_thumb.jpg

Surprised I hadn't seen this thread yet. Just started drinking wine a few years ago and I've taken the plunge. I stick to California cabs, most italian and French reds, and italian whites. Oh and I don't get along with Shiraz and port. Latest find is a spinelli montepulciano that's priced at 7.50 (lcbo) but delivers much higher than that. I usually don't end up smoking a cigar with wine because I generally don't like drinking wine outside regardless of the time of year.

A couple recents:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So far I can only find it in restaurants but would order it by the case if I could

And a white. Clean and crisp, all I ask of whites since I haven't tried many

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hey @@Carts, here's the agent if you are interested in buying a case of the Avalon Cab.

http://www.halpernwine.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=8323