Cigar Duties Canada Calculator

REASON

so I can confirm. 

I had a box delivered Monday. The "value used" by cbsa was $125. 

If I plug that figure in the calculator the result is accurate within $19.00 (calculator being less than reality of course). 

The scary part was what happened if they valued the cigars more accurately? The $125CAD was generous for a 25 box of RyJ Cedros Deluxe No.3

Cigar Duties Canada 🇨🇦

Duty $0.81
Excise Tax $110.71
Sales Tax $30.75
Provincial Tax (ON) $132.45
CBSA Handling Fee $9.95
Total Taxes $284.67
Order Value (25 Cigars) $125.00

the question however is what will they list your value as. 

as scary as the taxes are (approx 3x the "cost" all said and done), what they use for a cost can be scary. Imagine they use a cost of $500-$800....what, are we going to get a duty charge of $1500 to $2500? 

I'm slowly weening myself away from this hobby. I fully appreciate that I cannot afford it. 

• 2 weeks later...

that's incredible. 

see, if we knew 100% that we could do that, bring 300 home, and pay $108 in duty, it would allow for better planning. 

But likely it is a gamble, and you do that again and they want $2,000 in duty. 

I hate CBSA. 

(and I find it really strange/ironic/pathetic that I just went down the street and bought an ounce of week for $140. Simple as pie. I pay twice that just in duty just to get cuban cigars. It's really messed up!)

8 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

that's incredible. 

see, if we knew 100% that we could do that, bring 300 home, and pay $108 in duty, it would allow for better planning. 

But likely it is a gamble, and you do that again and they want $2,000 in duty. 

I hate CBSA. 

(and I find it really strange/ironic/pathetic that I just went down the street and bought an ounce of week for $140. Simple as pie. I pay twice that just in duty just to get cuban cigars. It's really messed up!)

And soon they will have indoor smoking lounges for the green, while all cigar lounges have been removed...

More taxes from this new industry vs tobacco. I guess.?

But seriously your paying 140 an oz...!!!, that's crazy, never more than 60-70 for A+++ should be easily attainable......

Or so I've heard, from somewhere or another..??

Cheers.!

Guess things are a bit more expensive in Ontario. 

You can get them under $100, but not for something worth smoking (imo). 

But I still struggle to understand how I can get an ounce of weed for $150 or under and yet pay $500+ for box of cigars that don't make it through CBSA. Tobacco is multiple times more expensive then weed. Who would have thought it? 

As I get older I find myself often looking to smoke a cigar instead of ripping back a couple bongs. 10+ years ago that would have been such a different situation. Cheap as heck cuban cigars and weed (illegal) expensive and often tough to find. 

Now things have flipped. 

Ugh.

• 6 months later...
54 minutes ago, ToothlessCog said:

If you’re gone for 48 hrs and within your 50 limit I don’t think there’s a problem. 

No visiting family and friends in Niagara region and have a secret Santa in Buffalo and my brother said they got me a cigar gift pack. Was thinking just say I brought them over and I’m bringing them back. But either way I feel I’ll get burned 

"Was thinking just say I brought them over and I’m bringing them back." As always, it depends on the officer but...even if you legitimately bough the cigars in Canada and brought them into the States and then back to Canada, you can get charged. Having detailed receipts helps but if you don't, an officer can make you pay the duties and taxes.